Psalm 119:9

Psalm 119:9 - How can a young man keep his way pure? By guarding it according to Your word.

Tuesday, December 4, 2012

A Sticky Seagull and a Song, or "Braving the Perils of Guitar Maintenence, Part 2"

You may recall my previous post of a similar nature, in which I sought to improve the playability of my ancient
Yamaha FG-160. Those improvements nonwithstanding, I've been playing a splendid Seagull S6 Spruce Top
which I purchased around the beginning of this year:


It has served me well, and I have been very happy with it. But I had a thought: What if I could take the pickguard
off? (You know, that red curvy thing by the big hole.) I don't need it, as I don't use picks, and besides, it would
look neat. B) Anyway, I did some research about proper removal methods, and pulled the trigger today.
  
First, I heated the pickguard with a hair dryer, just to start loosening the glue, and used a q-tip to apply Naphtha
around the edge. When it started to loosen, I pulled the edge up, and starting pulling slowly, applying more
Naphtha underneath.



I then got one of those fake plastic credit cards that you get in the mail, and used it to get more of the
pickguard up, occasionally applying more Naphtha and heat. Pretty soon, it was off!


(You can plainly see the amount of glue left behind)


So now, all that has to be done is to get all that sticky glue off! I accomplished this by dipping assorted rags
into the Naphtha, then pretty much scrubbing it off. This part took a little longer, but in the end, the sticky
Seagull succumbed.



And Voila! She is finished!


There is a tan line, but it will probably fade in time. I am very pleased with the look of the guitar, and of course it sounds as good as ever! B)


And now, our latest song:

1 comment:

  1. Neat-O! I think it looks better without the guard.
    BJ

    ReplyDelete