Psalm 119:9

Psalm 119:9 - How can a young man keep his way pure? By guarding it according to Your word.

Monday, September 26, 2011

Am I Glorifying God?


         "Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit
          within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own,
          for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body."
           - 1 Corinthians 6:19-20

In this world it's easy to forget that I am not my own. It's easy to brush off the Holy
Spirit's warnings (at least for a little while!) and explain away things which are known
to me as not only inglorious to God, but even as sin.


  My favorite "test" to see whether I am glorifying God in my actions (other than, you
know, reading the BIBLE!) is to use my imagination. Sounds weird? Picture this in
your mind's eye: Suppose that wherever you are, right now, there is a great rending in 
the sky, a light brighter than the sun shines through the clouds, and mighty angels blast 
their trumpets! And there He is, the One who died for sinners, but also the One who 
shall judge all of humanity, standing before you. What did He find you doing? Was it 
for His glory, or for yours? Think about that. 
  Certainly, we should always be viewing our actions through the lens of God's Word, 
but sometimes we just need a vivid picture to remind us: This is real. This is not some 
fairy tale invented by men. Every deed, whether good or evil, has an effect. 

         "Do not be deceived: God is not mocked, for whatever one sows, that 
          will he also reap. For the one who sows to his own flesh will from the 
          flesh reap corruption, but the one who sows to the Spirit will from the 
          Spirit reap eternal life." - Galatians 6:7-8

I know this is a short post, but there's not a whole lot more to be said. I guess the point
I want to make is that we must all, myself heartily included, continually seek to measure 
our actions up against scripture, and pray that God would give us strength, faith, and 
humility to always strive to glorify Him in everything we do. And here's the question we 
should all ask ourselves: If Jesus came to see me now, what would He find me doing?

         "But since we belong to the day, let us be sober, having put on the 
          breastplate of faith and love, and for a helmet the hope of salvation.         
          For God has not destined us for wrath, but to obtain salvation through 
          our Lord Jesus Christ, who died for us so that whether we are awake 
          or asleep we might live with him." - 1 Thessalonians 5:8-10

In Christ always!

         

No comments:

Post a Comment